Historic Schools – Bryant


Built in 1893

Named For:

William Cullen Bryant (Nov 3, 1794 – June 12, 1878) American romantic poet, journalist, and long-time editor of the New York Evening Post.

william bryant
William Cullen Bryant, 1794 – 1878

Location: Between John Ave and Hughitt Ave; Between 60th St and 61st St

bryant school location
Click image for Google map

bryant school


In 1924 an addition including a Gymnasium was built. Photo to the right shows the original building with the 1924 gymnasium addition.

Further Expansion:

The second Bryant School was bilt in 1956 and opened in 1957. Parts of the second building can be seen in the photo (below) behind the first Bryant. The original building was removed in the summer of 1957 prior to the coming school year. The 1924 addition was retained as part of the second Bryant School.


The third Bryant School was built in 1997. Footprints of all three buildings are drawn on the map.

first bryant school