Historic Schools – Kimball


Built in 1894

Rebuild in 1901

Named For:

William Kimball was born in Maine, 1834. William moved west, residing in the area of Oshkosh prior to coming to Superior in 1854. He was engaged in the lumber business for most of his time in Superior. At the time of his death he was a member of Peyton, Kimball & Barber, whose saw mill on Connor’s Point was one of the largest at the head of the lakes. He served several terms as Supervisor and Chairman of the town and county boards, and as School Director, and was regarded as a leading citizen. He was one of the three who platted the town site of Superior City, which is now Central Park.

photo of william kimball

Location: Intersection of Main St and Lamborn Ave

kimball school location on conners point
Click image for Google map


It was Mr. Kimball who, in 1882, built the first school on Connor’s Point with his own funds when the inhabitants wanted a school building. Over the next several years, the school enrollment on the point increased. By 1891 five teachers occupied four rooms in as many buildings on Connor’s Point with 130 students. Older children attended Matt Carpenter. It was time for a new modern school on Connor’s Point.

Construction started in the fall of 1894 to replace the multiple buildings in use at that time. Ever since school commissioner J.F. Wood had been on the Board of Education, he had worked to see that a building suitable for the education of children was constructed in the part of the city he represented. Many people suggested giving it the name of J. Frazer Wood.

Inspector Wood:

Mr. Wood and his St. Bernard dog would be seen almost daily inspecting the work and progress of the new building. Having no children of his own, he was regarded among the pupils as a kind of foster father to them all. The new building contained eight rooms, four on each floor. Kindergarten to second grade were on the first floor, and third to seventh grade on the second.

The Fire:

On the morning of February 5th, 1901, tragedy struck the Kimball School when it was completely gutted by fire with the exception of the brick walls. Approximately 300 children were in the building. All got out safely thanks to actions by the nine women teachers, with the help of some children of the upper grades who turned back to help. The fire departments of Sixth street, Eighteenth street, Connor’s Point, and Steel Plant responded, however, the building was ablaze on their arrival. Cold weather and bursting hoses complicated their efforts. It was figured the total loss was $12,000, with insurance covering the building for $7,000 and contents for $1,000.