Historic Schools – Pattison


Built in 1920

Named For:

Martin Pattison, timber and mining company owner and three term Mayor of the city of Superior. On December 22, 1917, as a Christmas gift to the public, Pattison gave six hundred acres around Manitou Falls that had quietly been purchased from various owners in order to preserve the area as a park. Martin Pattison died on December 20, 1918. In 1920 the State of Wisconsin accepted Pattison’s gift and named the park after him. In Superior there were several names as finalists for the new school on Twenty-First Street with Martin Pattison receiving the most support.

Another proposed name for the school was Faith Helen Rogers. She was a young nurse from Superior, going overseas in 1918 to help with the war effort. Unfortunately, she fell ill on the way to Europe and passed away before her arrival in France.

martin pattison photo
Martin Pattison, 1841 – 1918

Location: Between Weeks Ave and Lamborn Ave; Between 21st St and 22nd St

location of pattison school
Click image for Google map

pattison school


At the time of construction there was need to relieve overcrowded classrooms at Blaine. Superior was still growing rapidly in the years prior to 1920, in part because of ship building during the Great War later known as World War One. Just ten years prior Superior High School, later known as Central High School, was constructed in the hopes it would alleviate the growing student needs at Blaine. Even with Ericsson and Carpenter also in the north end of Superior, there was still a need by 1919 to build another school in the center part of the city.


Pattison was in use as a school until 2002 and unfortunately was lost to the wrecking ball later that year.